BES PTA Meeting Minutes – March 18, 2015
The Bannockburn Elementary School PTA met on March 18, 2015 at the Bannockburn Elementary School. PTA Co-Presidents, Janice Dreier and Laura Miller called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
In attendance: There were 21 participants including members of the PTA Board and Principal
Welcome and PTA Co-Presidents’ Report
- Ms. Dreier presented the Minutes of the January 15, 2015 PTA Meeting. On her recommendation and the motion of Ms. Harrison, seconded by Ms. Pelmoter, the minutes were approved by voice vote as distributed with no correction. Past PTA Meeting Minutes are available online at: http://www.bannockburn-pta.org/aboutourpta/ptaminutes.html.
- Ms. Miller presented an update on PTA surplus items purchased. Items that have been purchased: 2 laptop carts and a portable PA system. Items that will be purchased: poster maker, laminating machine, 1 high quality portable Promethean Board, and website improvements.
- Ms. Dreier gave an update on the Brown Station ES, our sister school. A number of students are on reduced-fee lunch and will not have access to school meals during Spring Break. The Executive Board voted to approve purchasing $500 worth of Giant Grocery $20 Gift Cards to be distributed to families by their Principal . On the recommendation of Janice Dreier and the motion of Ms. Gibbons, seconded by Ms. Maurer, the executive board approved the purchase of $500 worth of Giant Grocery Gift Cards by voice vote.
- Ms. Dreier announced the forming of a nominating committee for the 2015-2016 PTA Board. Ms. Pelmoter is the chairperson and is open to 4 other members.
PTA Committee Reports
Heather Kraus reported:
- 4,898 Box Tops were collected in February.
- The Parent Auction raised more than $7,000, which is $2,000 above the forecasted budget.
- The Fun Run is March 21, 9-11 AM. 5th Graders will sell milk, chocolate milk, Starbucks coffee and mini muffins.
Restaurant Night is April 29 at Mamma Lucia.
Nancy Browning presented the Treasurer’s Report. She reported the Math Day budget increased this year to support new activities. The Treasurer’s Report is available online at: http://www.bannockburn-pta.org/aboutourpta/treasurersreports.html.
Before & After School Activities:
Ms. Miller reported on behalf of Liz Lester. This is the final week of the Winter Clubs session. Spring Clubs begin the week of 3/23 and registration is open until 3/21. Poms and yoga clubs were cancelled and space was added to tennis club. The Clubs coordinator position is open for next year.
Ms. Dreier reported:
- International Night was very successful. There was discussion about changes for next year, including possible venues.
Stem Day has been rescheduled for May 13.
- New landscaping company will drain the fish pond in the courtyard and clean up the corner of Dalroy Ln. They could also provide cleanup in Fall and/or Spring for $300 each time. Sidewalk conditions and safety was discussed.
Lisa Schneidermann announced the Kindergarten orientation is April 30 and May 1. Stephanie Pelmoter announced the Mayfair is May 8, 5-8 pm. Volunteers are welcomed.
Staff Appreciation Committee:
Laura Miller announced the Staff Appreciation Week in May. This year’s events will include appreciation notes from students, donations for gift cards and for Coffee K-Cups.
Jill Holland reported:
- Pennies for Patients raised more than $3,000.
- Jump Rope for Heart raised more than $20,000.
- Shoe Collection to benefit Art for Humanity will coincide with the Fun Run.
Alison Harrison presented excerpts from Jason Sartori’s report, “The Future of Westbard and Its Impact on the Whitman Cluster.” Current school projections do not take into account the Westbard Sector Plan. “Based on the concept framework plan, the Equity One proposal would generate more than 120 students for the Whitman Cluster.” The community is strongly encouraged to reach out to elected officials.
Susan Eagle reported on the Public Forum on Schools and Growth she attended on March 7. The purpose was to discuss current growth policies and discuss creative solutions.
Principal Kate Bradley reported:
- 3rd and 4th Graders finished PARCC testing and 5th Graders start PARCC testing 3/18.
- The 3rd Quarter Marking Period ends 3/26 and there is no school on 3/27.
- Mrs. Verderosa scheduled Field Day for 5/26 and rain date on 5/27. The best dates for Field Day were discussed. She also expressed thanks to the community for supporting Jump Rope for Heart, which resulted in being able to purchase $1500 of P.E. equipment.
- Ms. Bradley will be the emcee for the Fun Run on 3/21.
- The teachers are working hard to make up for instruction missed due to snow days.
- Ms. Bradley is forecasting staffing for next year and is working on alternatives to having split class levels. Ways to advocate for BES, including supporting the Whitman Cluster testimony at the 4/16 Board of Education Meeting, were discussed.
MCPS has applied for a waiver for 3 snow days and should know the results by 3/24.
As spring approaches, the students will have outdoor recess as often as possible.
Ms. Walsh is the science liaison and will help coordinate STEM Day.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m. Respectfully submitted,
Cynthia Chen, March 2015