BES PTA Meeting Minutes – May 5, 2015
The Bannockburn Elementary School PTA met on May 5, 2015 at the Bannockburn Elementary School. PTA Co-Presidents, Janice Dreier and Laura Miller called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
In attendance: There were 17 participants including members of the PTA Board and Principal Kate Bradley.
Welcome and PTA Co-Presidents’ Report
- Ms. Dreier presented the Minutes of the March 18, 2015 PTA Meeting. On her recommendation and the motion of Ms. Maurer, seconded by Ms. Kraus, the minutes were approved by voice vote as distributed with no correction. Past PTA Meeting Minutes are available online at: http://www.bannockburn-pta.org/aboutourpta/ptaminutes.html
- Ms. Miller presented 2 new PTA initiatives: (1) BES Ambassadors to assist families new to BES, and (2) BES PTA Awards for: Outstanding PTA Volunteer of the Year, PTA Appreciation Award for a BES Staff Member, and Hall of Fame Award. A handout was distributed
- Ms. Dreier proposed to increase the 2015 International Night Budget $526.33. On the recommendation of Janice Dreier and the motion of Ms. Hurld, seconded by Mr. Stewart, the increase of $526.33 was approved by voice vote
PTA Committee Reports
Stephanie Pelmoter reported that the Nominating Committee is building the PTA Board Slate for 2015-2016. The VP of Before- and After-School Activities position is still open.
Janice Dreier presented the Treasurer’s Report. The Fun Run proceeds have not been reported. The Treasurer’s Report is available online at: http://www.bannockburn-pta.org/aboutourpta/treasurersreports.html.
Staff Appreciation Committee:
Laura Miller reported the Staff Appreciation Week has been well received with the gift card Raffle daily, Ice Cream Truck on Monday, Write-it-down Wednesday, Desserts on Friday, a “BES MVP” water bottle given to each staff member, and K-Cup coffee donations. She expressed gratitude to the BES Community for their generosity.
Before & After School Activities:
Liz Lester reported a successful year of transition and working with Flex Academies. This is week 6 of the final 8-week session. The Clubs coordinator position is open for next year.
Stephanie Pelmoter and Lisa Schneiderman reported a successful Kindergarten Orientation. The format was simplified. Mayfair is this May 8, 5-8 pm and volunteers are welcomed. Various ways to encourage volunteers from the community at-large and through individual classes were discussed.
No report given.
Heather Kraus reported Restaurant Night at Mamma Lucia on April 29 proceeds were less than expected and they will evaluate for next year.
Alison Harrison and Susan Eagle attended the Whitman Cluster testimony before the Board of Education where they advocated for decreased class size and increased staff resources. BES has limited resources with a part-time counselor and without an assistant principal. Ms. Eagle also reported that the Westbard Development proposed number of residential units has increased and there is an apparent lack of communication between the Westbard Sector Planning and MCPS.
No report given.
Principal Kate Bradley reported:
- Gratitude for the Staff Appreciation Week
- The grass sod has been planted near the playground
- Ms. Bradley is working on staffing and the master schedule for next year and is reviewing the parent input forms
- She is waiting on the allocation for class size as the decision is pending
- The 2 laptop carts, portable PA system and Promethean Board purchased by the PTA have arrived.
- STEM Day and the Science Fair will be combined on June 2nd. In the morning, the upper grades will assist the lower grades in building a STEM car and in the afternoon, the upper grades will present science projects to the lower grades.
- The 5th Committee is organizing the promotion ceremony.
- She is working on staffing to avoid having a combined grade-level class.
- The BES Leadership Team, comprised of: grade level teaching leaders, the Media Specialist, Staff Development, Reading Specialist, Counselor, and an elected faculty representative, is reviewing current programs and processes for next year.
- 2015-2016 school bell times will be 9:25 am – 3:50 pm. There was discussion about BES being a Tier 2 elementary school with later start and ending times than Tier 1 elementary schools. For more information, see: http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/info/belltimes/index.aspx.
Ms. Dreier thanked Miriam Weintraub for arranging for the Paralympic Medalist Skier Chris Waddell to speak to Grades 3-6 and Ms. Imani to work with Grades K-2. Both Mr. Waddell (Artist-in-Residence) and Ms. Imani (Cultural Arts) were very engaging and inspiring. She also thanked Lisa Schneiderman and Stephanie Pelmoter for a welcoming and informative Kindergarten Orientation.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:08 p.m.
Cynthia Chen, May 2015