BES PTA Meeting Minutes – June 2, 2015
The Bannockburn Elementary School PTA met on June 2, 2015 at the Bannockburn Elementary School. PTA Co-Presidents, Janice Dreier and Laura Miller called the meeting to order at 6:37 p.m.
In attendance: There were 26 participants including members of the PTA Board and Principal Kate Bradley.
Welcome and PTA Co-Presidents’ Report
- Ms. Dreier presented the Minutes of the May 5, 2015 PTA Meeting. On her recommendation and the motion of Ms. Kraus, seconded by Ms. Pelmoter, the minutes were approved by voice vote as distributed with no correction. Past PTA Meeting Minutes are available online at: http://www.bannockburn-pta.org/aboutourpta/ptaminutes.html.
- Ms. Miller and Ms. Dreier presented the new BES PTA Awards. Each winner was given a certificate and a gift certificate.
- Outstanding PTA Volunteer of the Year was awarded to Mike Smith
- PTA Appreciation Award for a BES Staff Member was awarded to Carlie Parker
- Hall of Fame Award was awarded (in a tie) to Jen Nordheimer and Stefanie Rothschild
- BES Ambassadors Program to connect new families.
- Calendar Contest Update: Students are welcome to submit drawings to be considered for the 2015-2016 PTA Calendar.
- Vote on donation to MCPS GIVE BACKpacks program. More than 54,000 MCPS students receive free & reduced-price meals. Ms. Dreier proposed that the PTA donate $500 to purchase 50 backpacks filled with school supplies to support students in need. On Ms. Dreier’s recommendation and the motion of Ms. Noonan, seconded by Ms. Kraus, the $500 donation was approved by unanimous voice vote.
- Ms. Dreier proposed to increase the 2015 Staff Appreciation Budget by $575. On the recommendation of Janice Dreier and the motion of Ms. Ammerman, seconded by Ms. Schneiderman, the increase of $575 was approved by unanimous voice vote.
- Nancy Browning presented the Treasurer’s Report. The Treasurer’s Report is available online at: http://www.bannockburn-pta.org/aboutourpta/treasurersreports.html. She also presented the 2015-2016 proposed budget. Budgets increased for: the auction, Mayfair, Safeway, International Night, Stem Day, Staff Appreciation, Administration (signage), and landscaping (maintenance). The school enhancements budget decreased and is comparable to its historical amount. The Fun Run forecasted income decreased due to reduced registration fees. On the recommendation of Ms. Dreier and the motion of Ms. Pelmoter, seconded by Ms. Holland, the 2015-2016 Budget was approved by unanimous voice vote. Nancy Browning and Dominique Stevens were recognized for their service as Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer.
- Janice Dreier presented the Highlights of PTA Accomplishments this year:
- Sponsored numerous social events
- Advocated for our school and cluster at the county and state levels
- Supported teachers and staff through: start-up classroom funds, providing food at staff meetings, and giving each teachers and staff member a $25 holiday bonus
- Encouraged the value of community service, through drives, fundraisers, and scholarships. Our previous counselor, Ms. Whiting received an email from the mother of a former BES student who received scholarships to attend an after-school martial arts club and the parent expressed her gratitude to the PTA.
- Fundraised through social events which allowed the PTA to give BES a $24,000 grant to purchase: portable Promethean Boards, PA system, laptop carts, poster maker, laminator, STEM pull cars & lesson, lunch box wagons, ink, and toner and provided finds to update the website.
- Ms. Dreier and Ms. Miller recognized and thanked the current board members. Ms. Dreier expressed appreciation for Ms. Miller’s leadership, diligence and humor. Ms. Miller and Ms. Kraus expressed gratitude for Ms. Dreier’s leadership, dedication, and service to BES for the past 10 years.
- Ms. Dreier presented the proposed 2015-2016 PTA Board. The VP of Community Service was added as a board position. On the recommendation of Ms. Dreier and the motion of Ms. Pelmoter, seconded by Ms. Rosenthal, the 2015-2016 PTA Board was approved by unanimous voice vote.
- Ms. Dreier and Ms. Miller expressed their appreciation for Ms. Bradley.
Principal’s State of the School Report
- Principal Kate Bradley reported today’s combined STEM Day and Science Fair was successful. Next year, STEM activities will occur throughout the year.
- Ms. Bradley shared her vision for BES to provide high quality, vigorous education for students, to provide ongoing training for teachers, to build social and emotional skills to impact learning, the school and the world, and to cultivate kindness as a community.
- Ms. Bradley outlined the school improvement plan. This year’s instructional focus was on oral and written comprehension and writing in response to text.
- She presented the mClass, Map-P, Map-R, and Map-M school test results.
- She presented the testing schedule for K-2 and Grades 3-5. Next year, the PARCC test will be occur on fewer days.
- Next year, 3rd Grade will receive Chromebooks and 2nd Grade may receive tablets depending on the budget. All students have a Google App for Education Account (GAFE).
- Ms. Bradley recognized the PTA’s grant which allowed the school to purchase portable Promethean Boards, PA system, laptop carts, poster maker, laminator, STEM pull cars & lesson, lunch box wagons, ink, and toner.
- New School Hours next year:
9:05 – arrival, 9:20 – students enter classroom, 9:25 – late bell, 3:45 – Kindergarten dismissal, 3:50 – Grades 1-5 dismissal. Lunch will be 30 minutes and recess will be extended to 40 minutes.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:17 p.m.
Cynthia Chen, June 2015