BES PTA Minutes – August 30, 2016
PTA Meeting Minutes
August 30, 2016
The Bannockburn Elementary School PTA met on August 30, 2016 at the Bannockburn Elementary School (BES). PTA Co-President Heather Kraus called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m.
In attendance: There were 90 participants including members of the PTA Board and BES Principal Kate Bradley.
Welcome and PTA Co-Presidents’ and Committee Reports
Kraus and PTA Co-President Marget Maurer welcomed everyone to the first PTA meeting of the new school year. They introduced themselves as co-presidents and then introduced the PTA Secretary for the year, Bonnie Noonan. They then presented the minutes from the June 7, 2016 PTA meeting for review. Cynthia Chen made a motion to approve the minutes; Marisol Blanchard seconded it. The motion was approved unanimously by voice vote as distributed with no objection or correction. Past PTA Meeting Minutes are available online at: http://www.bannockburn-pta.org/aboutourpta/ptaminutes.html.
The co-presidents introduced each of the PTA Board Members, who then gave brief remarks about what they did in support of the PTA. The Board Members were presented as follows:
- Treasurer, Tim Yehl, and the Assistant Treasurer, Rebecca Skipper. Mr. Yehl presented the Treasurer’s Report.
- Vice President (VP) of Membership, Allie Ammerman, who explained the many benefits of joining the PTA.
- VPs of Communications, Liz Lester and Allison Leotta. Ms. Leotta discussed Bannocknet and the School Directory.
- VPs of Before and After School Activities, Rachael Landau and Tanya Sisler. Ms. Sisler discussed the variety of clubs.
- VPs of Fundraising, Kara Myers and Anna White, who noted a few upcoming fundraising events: Bingo Night, Friday, Oct. 21, at Pyle Middle School; Restaurant Nights, Ledo Pizza, Monday-Tuesday, Oct. 24-25; and Book Fair, Thursday-Friday, Nov. 10-11
- VPs of Social Activities, Rodica Retezar and Christy Stults, who noted a few upcoming social activities: Newcomers’ Coffee, Friday, Sep. 2; Back to School Picnic, Friday Sep. 16; Kindergarten Parent Social, Saturday, Sep. 24 at the Minshew Home; and Craft Night, Friday, Nov. 11. Note that Craft Night coincides with Book Fair.
- VP of Community Service, Jill Holland, who noted upcoming service opportunities, including: Manna Canned food Drive, collecting canned goods at the Back to School Picnic; Help the Homeless Week, first week of October; and a Book Drive, with crafts and cards for the Children’s Inn at NIH in November.
- Cluster Representatives Susan Eagle and Sarah Manes, who explained how the cluster system works in Montgomery County and discussed the Advocacy Committee they chair.
Bradley discussed school and classroom size along with school staffing. She presented her ideas and plans for the new year and took questions.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.
Bonnie Noonan, September 2016