BES PTA Minutes – November 7, 2017
PTA Meeting Minutes
November 7, 2017
The Bannockburn Elementary School PTA met on November 7, 2017 at the Bannockburn Elementary School (BES). PTA Co-President Marget Maurer called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm.
In attendance: There were 25 participants, including members of the PTA Board.
Welcome and PTA Co-Presidents’ Reports:
- Ms. Maurer and PTA Co-President Matt Polak welcomed everyone.
- Ms. Maurer and Mr. Polak presented the minutes from the September 19, 2017 PTA meeting for review. Sheara Krvaric made a motion to approve the minutes; Fracesca Bosetti seconded. The motion was approved unanimously by voice vote. Past PTA Meeting Minutes are available online at: https://bannockburnpta.org/about/.
Guest Speaker Lisa Norris:
- Ms. Norris spoke about her role as BES Media Specialist.
- She described Destiny and myON, online resources where students can access an entire catalogue of e-books and track their reading skills. More information is available at: https://destiny.mcpsmd.org
PTA Committee Reports:
- Treasurer Tim Yehl presented the Treasurer’s Report and Notes for Budget Approval.
- Kathy Hurld moved to adopt Note #2, transferring to the Principal’s PTA Fund $3,000 for teaching training. Francesca Bossetti seconded the motion, and it was approved unanimously by voice vote.
- Heather Kraus moved to adopt Note #1, transferring to the Principal’s PTA Fund $7,026.82 for handwriting instruction, mindfulness workshops and myON fees. Bonnie Noonan seconded the motion, and it was approved unanimously by voice vote.
- Laura Miller moved to adopt Note #3, allocating $10,000 for the final payment of the Outdoor Classroom. Allie Ammerman seconded the motion, and it was approved unanimously by voice vote.
- VP of Membership Allie Ammerman discussed this year’s PTA membership campaign, which raised $13,406.
- VP of Communications Terri Payne announced that school directories had been printed and would be distributed soon.
- VPs of Fundraising Cynthia Chen and Sarah Wolek spoke about the money raised from recent Restaurant Nights, as well as upcoming events including the Book Fair (Nov. 9-10), Book Drive (Nov. 9-10), and Craft Night (Nov. 9).
- VPs of Community Service Setareh Ghandehari and Jennifer Jordan discussed October’s Help the Homeless Week and distributed a chart outlining many events in their Year Plan.
- Cluster Reps Susan Eagle and Catherine Bise reported on a Board of Education Meeting, Whitman and Pyle additions, structural improvements at Bannockburn, and a compacted math workshop for parents.
- VP of In-School Activities Laura Miller discussed the popular Cultural Arts and Artist-in-Residence programs.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 pm.
Allison Leotta, December 2017