BES PTA Meeting Minutes – January 9, 2018
PTA Meeting Minutes — DRAFT
January 9, 2018
The Bannockburn Elementary School PTA met on January 9, 2018 at the Bannockburn Elementary School (BES). PTA Co-President Marget Maurer called the meeting to order at 7:07 pm.
In attendance: There were 23 participants, including members of the PTA Board.
Welcome and PTA Co-Presidents’ Reports:
- Ms. Maurer and PTA Co-President Matt Polak welcomed everyone and presented draft minutes from the December 5, 2017 PTA meeting for review. Terri Payne made a motion to approve the minutes; Bonnie Noonan seconded. The motion was approved unanimously by voice vote. Past PTA Meeting Minutes are available online at: https://bannockburnpta.org/about/.
- Ms. Maurer reported that Setareh Ghandehari can no longer serve as Vice President of the Community Service Committee; Erika Satlof volunteered to serve in her place. Laura Miller made a motion to appoint Ms. Satlof VP of Community Service; Shannon Rosenthal seconded. The motion was approved unanimously by voice vote.
- Ms. Maurer introduced Rebecca Glazer, Cub Master of Cub Scout Pack 1320. Ms. Glazer stated that the BES PTA has sponsored the pack for several years; the sponsorship involves no money or liability for the PTA. Ms. Glazer asked that this sponsorship continue. Shannon Rosenthal made a motion to continue to sponsor Pack 1320; Tanya Sisler seconded. The motion was approved unanimously by voice vote.
PTA Committee Reports:
- Jennifer Jordan and Erika Satlof presented the Community Service Committee Report. They described drives this fall, including the Pie and Food stuffing event, Operation Warm (a drive to get new coats and hats for children at our sister school), and the Sinai Hospital Toy Drive. Upcoming events include Cards for Kids at NIH (February), the Fun Run and Shoe Collection (March), and Muscular Dystrophy Drive (April). If you have ideas for a community service event you’d like to organize, please contact Ms. Jordan or Ms. Satlof.
- Tim Yehl presented the Treasurer’s Report for July 1, 2017 – November 30, 2017.
- Cynthia Chen and Sarah Wolek presented the Fundraising Committee Report, and described the Potomac Pizza Dining Out Night (Jan. 10), Galley Foods Dine-In Week (Feb. 4-9), and the Fun Run (March 17 at 9 am).
- Auction Co-Chair Stace Kimmel reported that the date of the Auction has been changed to April 13. The auction committee is looking for items to auction, including neighborhood progressive parties. Please consider donating and/or hosting.
- Cluster Reps Susan Eagle and Catherine Bise reported there will be Whitman Cluster Testimony at the MCPS Board of Education Operating Budget Meeting on January 10 at 6:30 pm. They encouraged parents and kids to attend.
- Rachel Landau and Tanya Sisler presented the Before and After School Clubs Update. Sign up for clubs was robust and the new $5 sign-up fee raised $4500 for the PTA.
- Math Day organizer Pete Epanchin noted that Math Day will be February 9. He encouraged parents to volunteer.
- Variety Show producer Shannon Rosenthal reported that rehearsal was changed to January 16 and 23 at the Bannockburn Clubhouse. The show will be Feb. 3 at Whitman High School.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:57 pm.
Allison Leotta, March 2018